For families with children looking for something fun to do, Friday nights used to be filled with decisions between hiring a sitter or resigning to a completely kid-centric activity. Thankfully, as young families increase in number in Kansas City, so do entertainment options that have something for every age. Soon the pools will be closing and school will be starting, but these family-friendly local spots will keep the fun of summer going all year long.
- Pinstripes: Pinstripes, located in southern Johnson County, is a casual dining restaurant, bowling alley and bocce ball court all in one. The menu is suited to palates of any age with everything from cheeseburgers to lasagna to spare ribs, as well as great happy hour specials on appetizers and adult beverages. Order some food and reserve a bowling lane or bocce court for hours of fun that the entire family can enjoy together.
- Chicken N Pickle: Chicken N Pickle, located in North Kansas City, is “a new outdoor/indoor entertainment venue and restaurant concept” with a variety of games and activities for groups of all sizes. The name of the venue is derived from its deliciously chicken-heavy menu as well as its most prized activity, an up-and-coming sport called Pickleball that is essentially a hybrid of badminton and tennis. Visitors can enjoy playing Pickleball along with other games such as ping pong, Jenga and cornhole, as well as fire pits and televised sporting events.
- Tapcade: Tapcade, located in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, is a video game and craft beer bar with more than 45 classic games and a massive craft beer menu, as well as an impressive selection of gourmet bar food. Players age six and up are welcome to enjoy the laid-back, retro atmosphere until 8pm, at which point Tapcade becomes an 18 and over bar; if you’re planning to take the littles for a PAC-MAN or Mario Kart lesson, just schedule your outing to end before then.
- Blade & Timber: The newest attraction in town is Blade & Timber, a cutting-edge axe throwing experience located at Town Center Plaza in Leawood and the West Bottoms neighborhood of Kansas City, Missouri. Unleash your wild side and blow off some steam by hurling an axe at a wooden target with your family, friends or colleagues. You are welcome to bring your own food and refreshments, but alcohol is not allowed for good reason. Given the safety protocol necessary for this type of activity participants must be at least 10 years of age, so if your kiddos are still in the single-digits you may want to wait on this one.
- Archery Excellence: Archery Excellence, located in Independence, Missouri, is a comprehensive range, learning center, pro shop and supply store where you and your family can learn and practice archery skills. Archery Excellence actually focuses on training children in the skill of archery, but participants of all ages are welcome to enjoy the experience. If you have your own equipment you typically don’t need a reservation to rent a lane, but if it’s your first time or you need to rent equipment then be sure to call ahead to reserve your spot.